Start your week off on a heart- healthy foot with this healthy eggplant parmesan lasagna.
Instead of frying breaded eggplant in oil, I layered sliced baked eggplant with lasagna noodles to combine two favorite Italian-American dishes.
This lasagna dish tastes just like the classic eggplant Parmesan layered between noodles, cheeses, and tomato sauce.
If flat, no-boil lasagna noodles are not available, use traditional ruffle-edged lasagna noodles, precooking them according to package directions. Cut to fit an 8-inch square baking dish.
I enjoyed this very much and will for sure make it again.
This eggplant lasagna is a perfect for a meatless meal. Heart and comforting but yet light, this dish is a delicious alternative to the traditional heavy lasagna!
This recipe is adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 6 tablespoons (1¼ ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) carton 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 1 (26-ounce) bottle fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 12 cooked lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Combine 2 egg whites and egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Dredge 1 eggplant slice in flour. Dip in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumbs. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant, flour, egg mixture, and breadcrumbs. Place slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat tops of slices with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes, turning eggplant after 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- Combine 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, oregano, basil, ricotta, cottage cheese, and 1 egg white in a large bowl.
- Spread ¼ cup pasta sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles slightly overlapping over the pasta sauce; top with half of cheese mixture, half of eggplant slices, and ¾ cup pasta sauce. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread remaining pasta sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella and 3 tablespoons Parmesan. Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 35 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 5 minutes.