Healthy One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe || Weeknight-friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and loaded with delicious Mexican seasoning, plus brown rice, chicken, black beans, corn, red pepper, cheddar cheese, and cilantro.
This easy one pan Mexican chicken and rice recipe is a brand new go-to. The whole family is excited about this one. What I’m especially loving here is the simplicity of a one pan meal that’s ready 30 minutes. Also, the mess— I mean, the lack of one. No sink full of dishes to do following this weeknight-friendly feast.
Before we dive in, a quick, albeit important note. Make sure your skillet is large enough to accommodate all the good stuff we’re about to throw in. I use a 12 inch, 2 1/2 inch deep pan. This one to be precise.
How to make this Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil and sauté four chicken breasts, seasoned with few pinches of chili powder and kosher salt. Let them brown for a couple of minutes on each side, then remove and set them aside for five minutes (while we get everything else into the pan).
- Next, add a drizzle more olive oil to the pan (the same one used for the chicken) and toss the chopped onions and minced garlic right in. Cook for a couple of minutes (stirring with a wooden spoon).
- Add the remaining ingredients (brown rice, spices, chicken broth, salt, black beans, corn, and the chopped red pepper) to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, tuck those chicken breasts back into the rice mixture and let everything simmer on medium for 20 minutes, or until the rice and chicken are fully cooked.
- Top with cheddar and fresh cilantro. Hungry mouths will be happy.
Time to serve up this yummy Mexican chicken and rice dish. Grab some lime wedges and extra cilantro—AND, if you have five minutes to spare, this lime crema makes a very delicious topper.
Side note for my meatless readers, this dish is hearty enough to handle vegetarian main meal status. For extra oomph, swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth, double the corn and add in a can of kidney beans…some sautéed, and seasoned tofu would also be a nice addition.
Need more easy weeknight-friendly meals in your life? Try this creamy avocado spinach pasta and this oven-baked sweet and sour chicken.
P.S. What are your Monday to Friday go-to meals? Let me know in the comments!