This Slow Cooker Vichyssoise Soup is perfect for a cozy winter meal. Also called potage parmentier, this leek & potato soup is a nutritious vegetarian dinner idea that the whole family can enjoy.
EASY SLOW COOKER VICHYSSOISE
Tender potatoes and flavorful leeks are blended up to a creamy and dreamy perfection to make this amazing Potato Leek Soup. This soup makes for a perfect light lunch, or works great as a starter to a fabulous dinner. The French sure do know how to make a darn good soup!
Can I brag for a sec?! This soup right here? It was given 5 stars by the Oprah.com team about 5 or 6 years ago. Yeppers it was! 🙌
That was one fantabulous day in the life of Diethood. I was just getting started with this whole recipe-blog deal, and that review meant so much to me! STILL DOES!
Lemme tell you though. This soup is rich, a bit creamy, a bit chunky, a whole lot of wonderful, and is also great chilled! The chilled version of it is called Vichyssoise. So fancy. 😊
I mean, really. The flavor, the texture, and everything all together is like getting a hug from a soup bowl.
HOW TO MAKE VICHYSSOISE SOUP
I want to call this back-to-basics-recipe because it’s very simple and easy going, and you might already have all the ingredients hiding in the pantry. Best part is that you can prep this in the morning and leave it to cook for the whole day.
By the way, you only need carrots, celery, garlic, leeks, potatoes, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, and butter. AND a Slow Cooker.
- Cut the potatoes and the leeks. Leeks may need to be washed before cutting because dirt likes to hide in places you can’t see. Just cut off the dark green part, then cut the leeks in half, lengthwise, and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and chop them up.
- Put potatoes and leeks in the slow cooker and set aside.
- Combine sliced carrots and celery in a skillet and sauté for 4 minutes; stir in some garlic and transfer it all to the slow cooker.
- Stir in vegetable broth; add fresh thyme sprigs and butter.
- Close with the lid and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until potatoes are very tender. You can also cook it on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- When done, blend the soup with an immersion blender. If you only have a traditional blender, blend in batches. I also advise not to blend it on high speed; pulse it so that you have more control of the texture in the end.
The finishing touch should involve some heavy cream – totally optional, but totally necessary. 😉
HOW LONG DOES POTATO LEEK SOUP LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
- Store soup in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
CAN YOU FREEZE POTATO LEEK SOUP?
- YES! Potato Leek Soup can be frozen for 3 months, but don’t add the cream if you plan to freeze it.
Right now, at this very moment, I am making this Slow Cooker Leek and Potato Soup, again. We have had this soup twice in the last month. It’s what happens when you clear out your local Farmer’s Market leeks supply. 😃
In fact, our Thanksgiving dinner either includes this Leek and Potato Soup or my Asparagus Soup. There’s an idea for ya! 👊
Now go and start peeling some potatoes so you can serve dinner by 6-ish tonight.
MORE EASY SOUP RECIPES
- Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Lighter Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Ham and Sweet Potato Soup
- Creamy Carrot Soup
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Originally published on December 9th, 2012